Saturday, April 5, 2014

Planning a Styled Shoot Part II {Timeline} | Hampton Roads Stylized Portrait Photographer

Hi!

In my first blog post about planning a styled shoot I talked about making sure you've got your {key players} involved before moving forward with the planning portion and picking a date.

Now that you've got your key players picked out and everyone is on board that you "MUST HAVE" for your styled shoot AND you've picked a date you're ready to start planning your TIMELINE.

Sure, sure, picking a date automatically gives you a timeline to work with, right? Technically, yes.

BUT when I say timeline I really mean: how much time does your cake vendor need to make the 4 tiered cake that you want? Or how long will it take to get those awesome rhinestone shoes in from Italy that you just KNOW will be the incredible focal point of your theme? These are all super important things to lay out from the get go.

There is nothing worse than contacting someone or going to place an order ten days before your shoot only to find out it will take SIX WEEKS to complete.

You don't want that and I CERTAINLY do not want that for you- so to help yourself out from the get go, once you have your theme and your {key players}, immediately start making lists of what you will need to accomplish your vision and how much time you will need to do it.

Do you need 4 DOZEN boxes of rose petals? Probably not (but hey if you do that's cool, too). But either way buying 4 dozen boxes may be the only way to get them in the color you want and therefore you might be forced to wait the eight week ship time to get them in for the shoot.

This is a great time to point out that it is also important to give yourself time from initial planning to actual shoot date. 

This is definitely something I have learned *fortunately the easy way* this go around. I originally conceptualized my idea months and months ago but when I actually began planning I chose a date for the shoot that was 3.5 months away (and I cannot tell you how many times in this planning process I have realized how much of a blessing having this much time really is). 

It feels like FOREVER to wait because of course I am EXCITED- but choosing a date so far out has given me time to get all my ducks in order, come up with back up plans (because trust me I've already had to move to plan C on a few things), and also give my vendors time to get things in stock that I am looking for and time for us to work together as a team to really bring my vision to life.

So my Part II of planning a styled shoot: create timelines for what you need/ want for your vision and start with a big enough window to give yourself the ability to fall back on plan C, D, E, and F because chances are you'll need it ;)

Best,
Sarah
See Part III here!

2nd sneak peek from the inspiration board for the shoot ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment