Sunday, August 3, 2014

Ashley | Life: As it is | Hampton Roads Portrait Photographer

Hi!

This might be the most moving Life: As it is installment I have shot to date- eyes were welling up with tears on both sides of the camera. 

I met Ashley almost 2 years ago when she hired me to do her family photos- back when I VERY first started my business here in Virginia and long before I started this project. Little did we both know we'd stay in touch and soon enough I would get the honor of featuring her in Life: As it is.


Don't let her images fool you- this woman is a hilarious, somewhat inappropriate at times, dirty joke loving type of gal. But she is also an incredibly strong and giving human being. You see, Ashley SHAVED her head to give it away to be made into wigs for kids with cancer.

I have known people who have given their hair away before and I in fact have given it away TWICE in my lifetime... but NEVER have a met someone who actually shaved their head in order to do it.

Even more moving is that in the process Ashley raised money for the St. Baldrick's foundation, an organization that raises money for kids with cancer- you don't think she'd cut her hair for nothing do you? ;)

So now that I've told you the "what" of Ashley's story I'll let her tell you the "why:"
"I had a cousin who passed away from cancer in her early 20’s, my grandmother had breast cancer, aunts and uncles have had skin cancer, and another cousin’s son had leukemia. Seeing and knowing that these people were fighting for their lives made me want to do SOMETHING, I just didn’t know what. Cancer is truly a bully. I figured the least I could do was shave my head. Of course, I had naturally curly hair, which never seems to grow, so I wouldn’t be doing it for less than $100. Many of my friends thought that was way too low, so I upped it for $250.
 I was $90 away for what seemed like WEEKS. I posted a link on my facebook page daily, I told everyone I met what I was doing and why. Suddenly, on a Wednesday, I not only made my goal, but surpassed it by a few extra dollars! Someone was calling my bluff I think! Well, that Friday, I did it. I shaved my head. I didn’t go completely bald, but I kind of wanted to. Looking back, I think I was a little selfish that I didn’t. Those who are fighting cancer do not get the option of keeping their hair."
"It’s funny, and maybe a little corny too, but I feel more confident with short hair. I think it’s because deep down I know WHY I did it. I have been asked many times if I plan on growing it out and shaving it again, or if I will keep it short. For now, I will grow it out. BUT I wouldn’t hesitate on shaving it again for a second if another loved one were to face cancer!"

I absolutely LOVED being able to feature Ashley in my Life: As it is project. She is the embodiment of strength, confidence, and selflessness and is the definition of an inspiration. 

If you're interested in donating to her cause you can still do so here until September 28th.

And, in case you're curious: Ashley has raised over $650 so far and was able to donate 14 inches of hair!!

A huge thank you to Ashley for allowing me to tell a bit of her story and feature her in this installment of Life: As it is.

XO,
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. She is gorgeous and her heart is even more beautiful!

    ReplyDelete