Thursday, August 8, 2013

A Little Bit of ME!

Hi!
I made the decision a while ago that I wanted to do a weekly blog post to keep you all in the loop-MY loop- and made the random decision that that day would be Thursday. Well...today's Thursday! All day today I contemplated what I wanted to write about and it finally hit me: I should tell you about ME. If you're reading this then that means that you follow me on facebook; so you already know that:


1. I have the sweetest little Yorkie named Charlie {Dog}

 2. I am a military spouse (yay mil families!)

3. I'm obsessed with my mustard yellow camera bag. I mean seriously...who takes their camera bag out for its own photo shoot??

and 4. I currently live (and shoot) in Virginia. But did you know that I'm also a licensed counselor? Or that I'm from Pennsylvania? Or that I have family members that live all over the world (it's true! Ireland, California, France, Michigan, etc.)? Or that my relationship with photography started 8 years ago?!

It's that last part I really want to tell you about: me and photography. 

When I was in High School I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life- to be honest, most days I'm still not sure what I want to do with my life (but that's what makes being a mil spouse so great, right? I get to change locations and goals every few years!). What I do know (and knew back then, too) was that I love photography. I love growing and creating and experimenting with different looks, editing styles, angles, lenses, etc. Ok now I'm getting off track....

So back to High School: At the time I was in a photography course and was in love with being able to tell the stories of the world around me through images. I decided to apply to a university known for their photojournalism program. I'll never forget the photography teacher I had at the time telling me "don't be surprised if they don't accept you; they're a really good program." Exactly what a kid needs to hear, right?

Well that only lit a fire under my behind and I was now more determined than ever to be accepted. I showed up for my interview equipped with my "portfolio" of images printed in 5x7's from my dad's computer to a room filled with super "artsy" looking kids with giant prints and official looking carrying cases. 

WHOA was I out of my league. 

But you know what happened? I got in! I guess that day it was my story that was told through the images: my story as a budding photog with some serious dreams.

Fast forward to now. Now I shoot with the very same camera body (I've upgraded to some super awesome lenses in the mean time); I shoot portraiture photography and not photojournalism; and through the help of some awesome photog friends I'm learning and growing and experiencing the business side of things. I like to think that I still tell stories through my images, though- the story of a person, a family, a relationship. 


I think from now on I'm going to call my style: photojournalistic portraiture. :)

What do you think?!

Best,
Sarah

1 comment: