Sunday, September 29, 2013

Richmond Walk Now for Autism Speaks | Hampton Roads Walker

Hi!
Yesterday was a pretty awesome way to spend a Saturday; you see, yesterday I got to participate in the Walk Now for Autism Speaks in Richmond at the Richmond International Raceway!

I have a friend whose youngest son has autism and when he told me about the walk I jumped at the chance. I don't have statistics for this but in my experiences I've found you will be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't know someone touched by autism. It is "estimated that 1 out of 54 boys and 1 in 252 girls are diagnosed with autism in the United States" (www.autismspeaks.org).  From the Autism Research Foundation:
"Autism is a developmental disorder that is defined by behaviors including impaired social interaction, delayed and disordered language, and having isolated areas of interest."
If you ever meet someone diagnosed with autism you may find that he/she does not make eye contact with you and may be sensitive to touch or loud noises. According to Autism Speaks, autism :
"can be associated with intellectual disability, difficulties in motor coordination and attention and physical health issues such as sleep and gastrointestinal disturbances."
The parents of children diagnosed with autism are some of the most patient, understanding, and loving individuals I've ever met. They have acceptance for all and a beautiful approach to living life with an understanding that things are not always as they seem. 

The walk in Richmond was so neat and a great thing to be a part of. We walked for Michael, my friend's son, and joined hundreds of other families as we circled the track to raise awareness and money for autism research. I was honored to be a team member of "Michael's Magnificent Marchers!" *please ignore the quality of photos- taken by point a point and shoot digital camera; not my regular DSLR*


The awesome team we got to be a part of! Go Michael's Magnificent Marchers!

For more information on autism spectrum disorders, Walk Now for Autism Speaks, or how to donate to autism research head to:

Best,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment