Friday, December 13, 2013

Awkward Turtle | Hampton Roads Business Owner


Hi!

You know when you contact a business (via phone or e-mail) to ask about their services and then you have to figure out a way to *politely* end the conversation because they don't have exactly what you're looking for or their prices just aren't what you're able to spend at the moment? Anyone else find they're REALLY BAD at doing that? I'm SUCH an awkward turtle when it comes to that stuff.

  This just happened to me recently (can you tell?) and I just feel SO uncomfortable when it happens. It's like at the end of the date when you're walking to the front door you know what the other person would LIKE to have happen but you're just not there yet-- so you try to figure out how to dodge *the kiss* (making an appointment) and get inside (off the phone).
 
As a business owner I'm super sensitive to this part of my interaction with others and always try to end the conversations with some sort of "way out" like: "Take some time to think about it and if you do decide this is something you'd like to book just get a hold of me and let me know!"

So when I'm going back and forth with someone about what I offer or how I work and then all of a sudden I don't hear back from them at all (a complete stop in conversation) I realize maybe they're JUST LIKE ME! Maybe I don't have exactly what they're looking for or maybe my prices are just not what they thought they would be. And maaaaaaybe they're feeling just as awkward turtle as I do about contacting someone to learn about their services and then realizing it's not the right fit right at this point in time (maybe in the future).
 
At this point I always want to e-mail people to say HEY I GET IT you're just like me! Maybe we could be friends! But that would be super weird.... and I don't really need the reputation of "overly-excitable-needs-lots-of-friends-awkward" photographer ;)
 
Anyhoo, I *clearly* just needed to get this out in the universe and remind myself that it's ok to contact someone to find out information and store it away for the future- for when you're ready to make that commitment (or appointment).
 
And also, being a little bit of an awkward turtle isn't that strange.... right? ;)
 
 
Best,
Sarah
 

No comments:

Post a Comment