Thursday, December 19, 2013

Part-Time Tog | Hampton Roads Portrait Photographer

Hi!

Earlier this week I was asked by a fellow photographer, brand aficionado, and friend, about choosing to be a "part time" tog and my reasons behind it. It was asked to the general population (not just to me) but since I do choose to be a "part time" tog and because I like this person very much I thought I'd give her my answer (she's doing a bit of market research so why not help a gal out, ya know?).

Before I share it with you I want to explain what she (and I) mean by "part time" versus "full time" photographer; because let me tell you: whether you do this and 10 other things or are a photographer every waking moment of every day, running a business of any sorts is definitely a FULL TIME gig. So what I mean when I say "part time" photographer is that it's not my only source of income and I spend 40 hours a week doing something else on top of being a photographer. In this case my additional 40 hours per week is spent working as a Victim Advocate for the Army's Sexual Harassment and Assault Response and Prevention program (SHARP).

So now my answer to her question on why I choose to be a "part time" photographer: I choose to be part time because, simply put: I CAN'T CHOOSE!

 
I originally went to college for photojournalism (a form of photography that can be defined in many ways but for a short answer it's aim is to capture life as it is and as it's going on- lots of images of war on the news and stories in National Geographic are shot by photojournalists. In fact, a number of my professors had been featured in NatGeo at one time or another!) But as I continued in my schooling I realized I wasn't a fan of being outside of what was going on and having to shoot it and instead wanted to live it- not capture it on film. I didn't like having to shoot assignments or on someone else's time frame. Plus, to be completely honest I struggled a lot with the technical aspect of things and I get frustrated pretty easily when things don't just CLICK for me immediately (pun intended hehe ).
 
So I switched over to psychology.
 
I LOVED IT. I even went on to Graduate School and became a licensed counselor in the state of Ohio-- that's how much I loved listening to others and helping them see what perhaps they were too deeply involved with the situation to see-- and in some cases, be able to help them change their lives.
 
Flash forward to moving to Virginia when, after having our anniversary pictures taken, I realized how much I wanted to be the woman taking our pictures. I wanted to do that! So, I had my dad (who had all of my equipment) send me my camera and lenses. One thing led to another and voila! Sarah Elle Photography was born (again).
This box was so big you seriously could have fit a person inside! (I love all the "fragile" stickers on it. It makes it look really important!)
 
 
 

But then I found myself in a position to work in the SHARP program and well, I simply couldn't choose. So I chose not to choose. And yes, at times doing both  is tiring and time consuming, but I'm happy.
SO very happy.

So yes, I do choose to be a part time photographer with a full time business and a full time Victim Advocate position with the Army, and a full time puppy mom, and a full time wife. And until a day comes where I'm forced to choose (due to monetary issues, stress levels, or because I want to focus energies one way or the other), I simply decide to remain happy and choose not to choose.

Best,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment