Sunday, October 20, 2013

A Declaration | Hampton Roads Business Owner

Hi!

As many of you have seen me post before on the facebook page, Wednesday is "date night" in my house. This means my husband and I either go out to dinner or grab a bottle of wine to go with whatever we've decided to throw together as a meal. The BIG CATCH on Wednesday nights is that neither one of us (me especially) is allowed to be on the computer or watching TV- and he's not allowed to bring home work. It's just our way of trying to be focused on one another and truly reconnect in the middle of the week.

For both of us (and I'm sure for a lot of families out there) it is TOO easy to get wrapped up in the "chores" of the week and tune out the connection we have with our family, our spouse, or pets, our home. So Wednesday date night is our way of making sure we don't lose sight of what matters to us most: EACH OTHER.

This is why beginning at about 5 pm on Wednesday's (when my husband is home from work) you tend not to hear anything from me on line. :)

Well, now I've decided to take things a step further: I've decided to declare that Sarah Elle Photography is officially observing "office hours."

Right now I keep my computer on for 95% of the day and respond whenever I am nearby and see I have received an e-mail, a facebook notification, a call, etc. Despite not having a smart phone (crazy, I know) I seem to always be "plugged in." 
From now on, in order to really be present in my world and in my home I am no longer going to stay plugged in. Don't worry! I will still check in multiple times per day and will leave the computer on when my husband is not home; however, when it comes to family time in the evenings I will now not be as easily accessible. Furthermore; I will officially be offline at 9PM EVERY NIGHT. I hope that you can appreciate and understand this decision- this declaration of office hours.

Lastly, I reserve the right to change my office hours as needed by my family. Sometimes in life we have to flexible (ok LOTS of times in life we have to be flexible) and that will have to go for Sarah Elle Photography's office hours, as well.

From this day forward I officially declare Sarah Elle Photography's office hours OPEN (until 9 pm EST).

Thanks for understanding :)
Best,
Sarah

2 comments:

  1. I think that is super important Sarah!! You are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much for your support, Dawn! I love what I do SO much that it is hard to pull myself away sometimes; but setting boundaries for myself and my business is important since ultimately my #1 is my family. Thanks for your support :)

      Delete