Sunday, November 24, 2013

Not What You Think | Hampton Roads Little Known Facts

Hi!

The other day I was talking to a fellow 'tog friend about photography business names and it came out that "Sarah Elle" is, in no way shape or form, my actual name. Cue the: tires screeching, cars crashing, heads whipping around whaaaaat?!

It's true. My name isn't Sarah Elle. My last name isn't "Elle." My middle name isn't "Elle." My maiden name isn't even "Elle." 

Truth:
I MADE IT UP.

Ok ok ok before you STONE ME for being an imposter let me explain:
As a lot of you probably already know my background and formal education is in clinical mental health counseling. When I was working with clients I was encouraged to change my online presence to anything but my first and last name so that it limited the ability for clients to "find me." Not a bad decision considering the goal of counseling is to help others through their own life struggles without bringing your own personal stuff in to it.  (And, truth be told, I have had clients find me on some of my other social networks; like LinkedIN)

So, years ago as I thought about changing my "online" persona to my real middle name, Elizabeth, I decided that was too easy and too boring and that I was going to be "more creative." I finally convinced myself that "Elle" was short for "ELizabeth" and thus Sarah Elle was created.

When I opened my photography business I liked the idea of a creative name and since I had already "created" one I decided to go with it! Lots of folks assume it's my middle name or even my maiden name but in reality it's just me with a twist ;)

So, there you have it. It's true, I'm not who you think I am. I mean, well, I'm still ME but my name isn't what you think it is. But it's not meant to be a secret- just...no one has ever asked before "WELL, WHY SARAH ELLE?" So I decided I'd just tell you myself!

There it is; the big mysterious history behind "Elle."

Best,
Sarah

And since we're talking about history and where Sarah Elle came from I thought I'd dig up this rockin' picture of me and my sister and show you a bit more of where I came from.
 I'm the ham on the right ;)

1 comment:

  1. Totally didn't question why you had a weird name. I assumed it was because of clients. It's an occupational hazard!

    ReplyDelete